Saturday, July 26, 2014

Sweet Vanilla Coconut Cake Pops


Cake Pops!!!! I will be the first to say that I absolutely did not jump on the cake-pop-bandwagon when they were all the rage...I think it was late 2013-early 2014...anyway, that doesn't matter. What does matter is that I finally made them! That is right ladies and gentlemen, I have never made cake pops until now. I am certainly glad that I did though! To make these cake pops, I used a silicone cake pop mold that cost about $10, find a link to one like it here. I chose to not use a leavening agent so they would be extra moist, and that worked out very well. I hope you enjoy!


Sweet Vanilla Coconut Cake Pops

Yields about 40


Cake Pops:

3/4 cup + 2 tbsp all-purpose flour

2 tbsp cornstarch

1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup coconut oil

1 cup sugar

3 eggs

2 tsp vanilla


Other:

1 bag white chocolate melting chips

1 bag milk chocolate melting chips

cake pop sticks

parchment paper

assorted fun and awesome sprinkles



Directions:

In a small bowl sift or whisk together the flour and the corn starch; set aside.

In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat together the butter and coconut oil until they are light, fluffy, and thoroughly combined. Add the sugar a half a cup at a time and continue beating. 

Beat in the eggs one at a time, then beat in the vanilla. 

Little by little beat in the flour/cornstarch mixture until it is all completely mixed in.

Fill the bottom half of the cake pop mold full of the batter, and secure the other half on top of it. I put mine on a baking sheet before I put it in the over, just to offer more stability. 

Bake on 350 for 20-25 minutes.

Once the cake pops are cooled, pop them out of the mold onto a plate, and melt a little bit of the melting chocolates in a bowl.

Dip the tip of the cake pop stick into the melted chocolate and poke that into your cake pop. Set aside onto a baking sheet, and cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before continuing. This will keep your cake pops on the stick when you dip them in the melting chocolates the second time.


I let mine sit overnight, and I barely had any trouble with them falling off on the stick. There was one or two that did, but I ate them, so I wasn't that upset about it.

Now set up your work station! This is my favorite part...it's like a fun little assembly line that makes putting these little guys together a lot more enjoyable.


Here is a picture of my set up. I found it easier to work this way, but do whatever works best for you :).

In two small bowls, melt the different chocolates in the microwave. The directions should come on the package, it's nothing too complicated. If your are unable to use melting chocolate, you will need to temper the chocolate before dipping your cake pops in it.

I used a little spoon to help cover my cake pop in the chocolate once it had been dipped. If there is too much chocolate on your cake pop it will cause it to be mushy and not very appealing, so be sure to let as much chocolate drip off as possible. I gave mine a little bit of a spin to help pull off some extra chocolate. 

Set the cake pop on the parchment paper to dry, but decorate with sprinkles and/or drizzled chocolate while it is still wet.



Have fun with this! Be creative! I used red, white, and blue sprinkles for several reasons...1) they are on sale now, yayyyyy!!!! and 2) because my older sister wanted them for her birthday party, and she was born on the Fourth of July :). It was a win-win situation really. 



And that's it! So simple and fun and pretty! I know that you can very well make cake pops without the mold, but to be honest, it's a waste of time. Using the silicone mold saves so much time and a big mess, plus it's so cute and fun to play with :). And for $10, it's well worth it if you plan on making them often {which I now do}. I hope you all enjoy this recipe! Comment and let me know the fun combinations you use!



No comments:

Post a Comment